Can You Afford To Say: It Won’t Happen To Me?
Most of us are not financially prepared for a medical crisis caused by a critical illness within our family. Out of pocket expenses can deplete our savings, home equity and retirement funds. Major medical insurance does not cover many non-medical expenses. Out of pocket costs include:
- Deductibles and co-payments
- Doctors and hospital costs exceeding usual and customary charges
- Travel to out-of-town hospitals for treatment
The risk of a critical illness affecting the lives of a loved one is real, according to the American Heart Association:
- Heart Attacks will strike 1 in every 3 American Men and 1 in 4 American Women
- Strokes will strike 1 in every 6 American Men and 1 in 8 American Women
There may be nothing worse than laying in a hospital bed worrying about getting well and having to worry about finances at the same time.
You can find important handouts below: